Saturday, November 10, 2012

Chickens

Some weeks ago I was faced with a dilemma. Having just returned from yoga, I noticed that one of my housemates three chickens was sitting on the garden gate, poised to escape into the wild open frontiers of Urbana. OK, maybe I exaggerate: it wasn't so much poised to escape but was rather comfortably sitting on the wooden gate. And maybe Urbana isn't the wildly dangerous place I make it out to be (I think it's pretty safe for a chicken - lots of vegetarians here!). But it certainly could have done a runner anytime it so desired. I had no idea what to do: try to shoo it back inside? throw some feed pellets inside to lure it back? I chose option three - I didn't do anything. I figured it couldn't have hated its little environment too much if it was still there. So I went out for a bit and returned at ten that evening. And there she was, still perched on the fence, unmoved. I approached it, waving my arms uncontrollably trying to scare it back inside. That had absolutely no effect on her. What would I tell my housemate if it escaped? The chicken and I eventually called a truce and I got a little closer to it. Surely it'll fly back in. No such luck. I ended up standing there petting the cute little clucker for what seemed like half an hour. The ducks (oh yeah, we have ducks too! they get along with the chickens...most of the time at least) just looked on, confused expressions on their faces. Let me tell you this chicken was REALLY chillaxing! It didn't seem fazed at all. This has led me to believe that maybe chickens do yoga when humans aren't watching. I wouldn't be surprised, although I don't know if any chicken pose exists (there is, of course, crow pose, crane pose, peacock pose, eagle pose, swan pose, heron pose, duck pose, etc.). Eventually, I did throw some food into the garden and the chicken went back. But not before it made my day by hanging out with me for a bit :) Man I love chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment